No products in the cart.
Mangoes will ripen on the tree if left long enough (and nothing else will get them earlier than you) but the very best time to select a mango is when it has developed a blush, and the sharp nose on the tip of the mango has little rounded off and filled out with pulp.
At this stage, the mango would will still be hard but when left at room temperature in ventilated space it will quickly ripen in just a few days.
how can you check mangoe is Mature ?
- checking the growth of Shoulders:
- The area around the stem of the mango is called as the shoulder.
- It is generally flat but as the fruit reaches the final stage of maturity, the shoulder portion starts bulging forming a depression at the point where the fruit is connected to the stem.
- It is very reliable way to check that mango is Mature, however this method is not suitable for mangoes such as kesar , Dasheri , Totapuri ,Jamadar as these mangoes are having oval shape.
- This method is accurate for Malgoa, Alphanso, Rajapuri, Pairi Mangoes.
- Colour of the Skin
- Raw mangoes are bright green or olive green. Mangoes become orange and light green as they mature.
- In some varieties you can see grey powdery deposit on the skin of the mango.
- Some mangoes develop coloured pigments on the skin.
- This is not the correct criterion to judge the maturity. Because mostly the mango on the outer side of the tree , lets say outer branches, sunlight exposer is higher for these mangoes, hence these mangoes develop red, yellow or pink pigments.
- mangoes which are on the inner side of the tree are mostly in shade and hence remain green . These Mangoes gets yellowish skin as they mature.
- Smoothness of the skin :
- Raw and immature mangoes have a rough skin surface, which can be noticed even from a distance.
- The skin gets smooth as the fruit matures.
- The skin gets soft as the mango ripens.
- Spotting on the skin :
- At final stage of maturity on the skin you can see white cork cells ,more prominently on shoulder or bottom of the mango. It looks like white spot with reddish border.
- Floating test (Gravity of Fruit) : The mature Mango has specific gravity of 1.01 to 1.03, will be heavier than the immature mango.
Mangoes taste best when left on tree for ripening .
But these ripened mangoes have shorter shelf life and to increase the shelf life of mangoes people pluck the raw mangoes from trees.
these raw mangoes if not a mature mangoes it will not ripened well